Most everything you want / need to know about the trip can be found in these two documents:
Right-click and save these documents. You’ll have to fill out and sign the contract to include with your deposit. The rest of the information below is a re-cap of information from these two documents.
This will an exclusive trip for members of the Händlmaier’s Mustard Club Cincinnati. On this trip, you will get deep into the Bavarian Culture and attend some great events. Your American guide, Scott, is an American fluent in German, currently lives in Bavaria, and is a “Diplom Bier Sommelier.”
BayernTrips LLC is the tour provider. This is the same tour provider we went with on the last Mustard Club Trip to Germany, and the same folks organizing our October bus trip to the Cedar Creek Brewery Oktoberfest. Scott and his wife Vonia are great folks, Mustard Club Members, and former residents of Michigan that now live in Munich full-time, right across the street from the original Hofbräuhaus. Many Mustard Club members have been on their trips in the past, so just ask around and they can tell you what a great time they’ve had with Scott and Vonia!
The main trip takes place Saturday, July 16 through Sunday, July 24, 2016.
Group size limited to 40 guests. Mustard Club Members and their guests will have first right of reservation until Dec 1, 2015. After that, BayernTrips may opt to sell space to the general public.
There is the possibility of additional tour options, to add a few days before or after the trip at extra cost, to cover some sights that are out of the way or not possible in the timeframe of the main trip.
You should secure your own flights – keep in mind that summer fares can be quite high, so start hunting for good rates as soon as possible.
Our local coordinator is Chuck Dietz firstname.lastname@example.org or 859-468-2717 — contact him with any questions. If you need further information, you can contact Scott Stephens at email@example.com or 1-888-MUNICH-0 with questions.
Day 1, Sat 7/16
- Departure from Munich Airport (MUC)
- Lunch & Tour at Unertl Weissbierbrauereri (50km)
- Depart for Berchtesgaden
- Tour and tasting at Grassl Schnapps Factory
- Check in at Hotel Schiffmeister at Königsee
- Dinner at Jenner Kaser, a quaint and cozy alpine hut on the Jennerbahn, with a 100 seat biergarten
Day 2, Sun 7/17
- Breakfast at Hotel
Optional Hike and/or Cable Car ride on Jenner Mountain. There’s a restaurant, and biergarten on their terrace with a great view. The surrounding Berchtesgaden National Park is accessible via a network of well-marked foot paths of varying difficulty, many leading to outstanding vistas of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- Boat ride to St. Bartolomä on the Königssee, a deep glacial lake surrounded by steeply rising flanks of mountains up to 8,900 ft (similar ot a fjord). St. Bartolomä is a Roman Catholic pilgrimage church rebuilt in 1697 in the Baroque style. It is on the western shore of (lake) Königssee and can only be reached by boat (or a long hike over the mountains).
- Dinner at Scharitzkelalm
Day 3, Mon 7/18
- Frühstück (Breakfast) at Hotel
- Bus ride to Eagle’s Nest is a Third Reich-era building erected atop the summit of the Kehlstein, a rocky outcrop that rises above the Obersalzberg, and was Adolf Hitler’s retreat. Today it is open as a restaurant, biergarten, and tourist site.
- Visit Documentation Center, a museum erected on the groundwork of the former Nazi guesthouse in order to provide historical information concerning the use of the Obersalzberg by Nazi leaders. The museum also provides access to part of the extensive network of Nazi bunkers and tunnels beneath.
- Depart Kehlstein for Salzburg
- Check in at Hotel Stieglbraü
- Visit Salzburg Old Town. Salzburg is the fourth-largest city in Austria, and is renowned for its Baroque architecture, as well as being one of the best-preserved city centers north of the Alps, despite a number of Allied bombings.
Meet at Augustiner zur Mülln Biergarten
Day 4, Tues 7/19
- Frühstück at Hotel
- Visit Bavarian State Exhibition “Bier in Bayern” at Kloster Alderbach
- Depart for Passau and check in at hotel
Day 5, Wed 7/20
- Frühstück at Hotel
- Tour Old Town Passau. A town in Lower Bavaria, the Old City is built on a peninsula, and known as the “City of Three Rivers” because the Danube is joined at Passau by the Inn river and the Ilz river.
- Lunch at Hacklberger Biergarten
- Afternoon free time: Alte Veste Castle or Danube Boat Ride
- Dinner on your own
Day 6, Thurs 7/21
- Bus to Regensburg or option to take train to Munich
- Visit Händlmaier Shop in Old Town Regensburg for a meet and greet, group picture, and then lunch
- Boat ride through the Danube gorge to Kloster Weltenburg, the oldest monastic brewery in the world.
Day 7, Fri 7/22
- Munich Tour
- Attend Festival (Details TBD)
Day 8, Sat 7/23
- Isar River Rafting Trip. This is the trip that was previously discussed that would cost about €150 extra. The log raft is huge, with enough room for 45-55 people. A Bavarian breakfast of Lebekäs, pretzels, and rolls are served on the raft, then a stop for a midday meal at the Gasthaus zur Mühle. Beer is included on the raft, as well as music by a traditional brass band. (The link above and the details are just based on one tour provider, and subject to change depending on which provider we go with.)
- Attend Festival (Details TBD)
Day 9, Sun 7/24
- Depart on your own
- S-8 (suburban train) to Munich Airport (MUC), train ticket not included
Additional Tour Options
Pre-Trip Option: Arrive July 14 and travel to Füssen on the train with us. We will stay at Hotel Ruchti in Füssen two nights and see both Hohenschwangau and Neuschwanstein on July 15. On the 16th, we will rendezvous with the bus on its way to Berchtesgaden. (2 Nights) Est Cost: € 1000 DBL / 750 SGL
Post-Trip Option: Extend your visit until the morning of July 26. Enjoy Weisswurst Frühstück at the Weisses Brauhaus before boarding the fast ICE train for Mainz. We’ll visit the Gutenberg Museum, and then have dinner. The next day we’ll take a boat on the Rhine river from Mainz to St. Goar, then a train from St. Goar to Bacharach, have dinner, and then take a train back to Mainz. The next morning we take a train to the Frankfurt airport for departure on July 26th. (2 Nights) Est Cost: € 1600 DBL / 1200 SGL
Total Trip Cost
This trip’s price will go down the more folks we get, so we want to get as many Mustard Club folks, friends and family signed up! Group size limited to 40 guests. Mustard Club Members and their guests will have first right of reservation until Dec 1, 2015. After that, BayernTrips may opt to sell space to the general public.
$2564* Double Occupancy
(This is the total price for 2 people’s trip, with them sharing a double room)
$1815* Single Occupancy
(This is the total price for 1 person’s trip, in a single room)
*Estimated Price – The price will vary based on the number of final participants (see the table in the attachment). Price above is based on 16-20 participants.
- 8 Nights of Lodging
- 2 meals per day – breakfast, plus lunch or dinner, one beverage at Lunch/Dinner
- Admission/Transportation to Eagle’s Nest and NS Documentation Center
- Boat trip on Königsee in Berchtesgaden & Regensburg
- Admission to the Bavarian State Exhibition “Bier in Bayern”
- Escorted Walking Tour of Passau & Munich Old Town
- Transportation to/from Group events – a combination of buses, trains, subways, and trams may be used. If you choose to go on your own or miss a group meeting time/location you must pay your own fare
Isar River Rafting Trip
- Estimated Cost: €150 per person.
- Confirmation expected in early Jan 2016 and you will be asked to pay for this item separately within 10 days. This item is non-refundable. USD-EUR exchange will be determined by prevailing rate at that time.
- Includes: Live Music on board, Brotzeit on board, Beer & Soft Drinks on board, warm lunch, transport to and from Raft.
- Note: This is a highly sought after activity and books up quickly. The raft also departs if it is raining although a rain cover will be erected. There is some chance, however, that the raft company will cancel the trip for water levels being too high or too low, or in case of severe thunderstorms. In the case that the raft company cancels, you would receive a refund
- Initial Booking: To reserve your space, the down payment is $600.00, per person. If you opt for the Isar Raft trip, the applicable amount (Est. €150) will be transferred to the DER Tour, the Agent sponsoring the raft tour. That amount is then absolutely non-refundable after Jan 15, 2016, if the raft trip is, indeed, successfully booked.
- March 15, 2016: Any remaining rooms will be released and the final headcount will be made public and pricing finalized based on the table in the attachment.
- April 1, 2016: Final payment is due. If you cancel between 4/1/2016 and 5/31/2016, your total loss is limited to $600 per person.
- June 1, 2016: Any cancellations between 6/1/2016 and 7/1/2016 will be refunded just $250 per person
- July 1, 2017: Any cancellations received after 7/1/2016 will receive no refund.